Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Mesopotamians

There are some things in life that you just never get over.  Personally, the fact that every morning I wake up in the place I've dreamed of since i was four blows me away everyday.  Like right now, I can just make my way to a nearby window and see Death Valley.  How cool is that?  And the people here are just amazing.  All the new friends, and new experiences I've been able to share with those people, it is almost surreal sometimes.  When I go home, I can go home to a family that loves me, and whom I love.  To a church that everyone knows my name.  To a place that loves me.  Now when I go back I am going back to an absolutely amazing girl.  There are just so many things in my life that, ten years ago, I would have never thought i would have had.  Goodness, even a device made of metal and a little plastic is holding like over 6,000 songs that i can listen to absolutely anywhere.  It is so amazing.


But the most amazing thing in my life, the thing that I can't begin to wrap my mind around, and that I hope I never ever get over; the fact that God, the God that created the world, everything you see, can possibly call me friend.  It makes no sense.  I shouldn't be able to pray right now and have the same being that rules over everything, that conquered death, Hell, and the grave listen to every word I say.  He knows the hairs on my head.  Thats absolutely insane.  It defies every ounce of logic I could place together.  Its really not fair.  I don't deserve it.  But in the words of my good friend Matt Theissen, "The beauty of grace is that it makes life unfair."  Wonderfully put if I do say so myself.

I guess the reason all of this popped into my mind is because we listened to a group of students at BCM who went to China over the Christmas holiday.  After hearing their stories, I felt a huge burden to be more direct and initiate more when it comes to telling others about Christ.  I'm too blessed not too.  To whom much is given much is expected.  So God obviously has a lot he wants me to do.  Its scary putting yourself out there, but I just can't settle for anything else.  God deserves more than that.

Peace

Lonnie
Romans 12:2

No comments: